Traditional Metal Braces
Ask Panama City Smiles if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
The three main parts of your braces are:
- Brackets — Brackets are attached to the teeth using a special glue that bonds them to the tooth surface and holds them in place.
- Archwire — The archwire is the thin metal wire that connects each bracket and puts pressure on the teeth to help guide them in place.
- Ligature Elastic (“rubber bands”) — Elastics, or rubber bands, are the colored ties that hold the archwires to the brackets. Your orthodontist will change the elastics at each appointment. Elastics may come in a variety of colors.
Once placed on your teeth, braces place constant pressure on your teeth, and the force of the pressure helps move teeth into proper position. At each appointment, your orthodontist may tighten the archwires. In addition to braces, some patients may need to wear rubber bands or headgear.
Types of Braces
There are three types of traditional metal braces: stainless steel, titanium, or gold-coated braces. All three types of braces are excellent options for straightening your smile, but which option you choose really comes down to your personal style preference.
If you need braces, but want something that offers a bolder look than silver-colored braces, gold braces are a great way to draw attention to your smile, and are as tried-and-true as traditional stainless steel/titanium braces. However, if you want something a bit more subdued, you may want to go for stainless steel or titanium braces.
Pricing for gold braces ranges, and gold braces typically cost slightly more than stainless steel or titanium braces due to the gold plating, but if you want a look that is sure to wow for the 1-3 years you may have to wear your braces, gold braces options are an excellent option!
Stainless steel, titanium, and gold-coated braces have many benefits including:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Bacteria Resistant
- Strong, durable materials
Your dentist at Panama City Smiles can help you determine what type of braces and teeth straightening treatment is best for you. Call us at 850-763-8788 to schedule an appointment.